Before you reach for that paintbrush, think about wallpaper. We are not talking about the green or yellow floral wallpaper designs you remember from your grandmother’s kitchen. Today, wallpaper can bring exciting colors, patterns, and textures into any space. Know the pros and cons of wallpaper before you decide to paint your walls.
If you have a room full of solid color furnishings, patterned wallpaper can add new dimensions to your home. Without changing a single piece of furniture, you will feel as though the entire room has changed.
The Pros of Choosing to Cover Your Walls with Wallpaper
As we delve into the pros and cons of wallpaper for your next makeover or interior design project, we will start with the pros.
Pros of using wallpaper:
- Long-lasting durability – paint often needs retouching or repainting every two to five years depending on children, pets, and traffic. Using wallpaper for a room instead of paint can provide 10 to 15 years of durability.
- Cost-effectiveness – although the upfront cost of wallpaper vs. paint is higher, its durability will save you money over time.
- Visual appeal – wallpaper provides a level of creativity you will not find with paint unless you hire someone to paint designs on your wall (higher cost). New styles of wallpaper today offer the look of faux suede, cork, velvet, vinyl, embossed finishes, textiles, and more. Using wallpaper for a room provides a level of versatility you just will not find with paint.
- Damaged walls – wallpaper can make even poor condition walls look good. If your walls have defects that you do not want to fix, a good quality, thick wallpaper can make them look spectacular.
- Versatility – using wallpaper for room décor also has come a long way. If you find a pattern that you love, but do not want to wallpaper an entire wall, consider placing it inside a picture frame for a new take on artwork. The monetary savings can be tremendous over purchasing fine art. It is also easily changeable when you want a new “look.” You can also use wallpaper behind shelving to add dimension to a room while accenting your displays.
- Easy to clean – textured wallpaper is readily cleaned by vacuuming, brooms, cleaning cloths, or even wallpaper dough. For families with young children, easy to clean vinyl wallpaper can save you from frequent repainting of your walls.
- Ease of application – some companies offer temporary wallpapers that are removable and easily applied.
- Easy removal – depending on application, traditional wallpaper can be removed with some effort and without wall damage when you no longer want them on your walls. It is essential to prep and prime the walls before installation to facilitate this process.
Wallpaper adds a lot of personality to a room, allowing you to use it as an accent on just one wall to coordinate with paint colors, or to cover an entire room. Many wallpapers today even come in complimentary partner patterns and solids. That allows your wallpaper room décor to take on a more customized appearance.
Cons of Wallpaper – What to Know Before You Buy
Next up in the pros and cons of wallpaper is what you need to know before you buy. Make a mistake here, and you can get in over your head.
Cons of using wallpaper:
- Higher cost – yes, the cost is more upfront. However, remember the pros; wallpaper can save you money in the long run.
- Difficult removal – yes, we just said it was easy to remove wallpaper. However, the job can get taxing after a while, and you need the right tools. If the walls were not properly prepped before hanging, removing the wallpaper could become difficult. That is why you should consult with a professional interior designer or wallpaper specialist before using wallpaper.
- Hard to replace – wallpaper patterns come and go. If a wall becomes damaged, and you need to replace the wallpaper, that could be a problem. Dye lots also come into play. If you need to repair a wall with wallpaper, ordering another roll might not match.
- Humidity and climate – choose the right paper for the room. Luckily, there are new wallpapers designed to withstand moisture for humid areas.
- Difficult to install – wait, we just said it was easy in the pros of wallpaper. Yes, it is easy if you know what you are doing. Most people do not. Hanging wallpaper is a lost art. You want to match patterns at the seams, and that requires a great deal of skill. An experienced wallpaper hanger will know which adhesive is the correct one for your type of wallpaper.
- Running out of paper – a qualified professional will ensure that you have enough wallpaper ordered to complete your job.
- Clashing with the room – the wrong pattern of wallpaper can dominate or clash with the room. That is why you need the guidance of an interior designer to help you make the right selection.
- Toxicity and fumes – just as with paint, some wallpapers can release VOC compounds. Eco-friendly wallpaper is an excellent option.
There you have it, the pros and cons of wallpaper. To find out if wallpaper is the right choice for you, contact HK Interiors. Learn how our interior design services can help you transform your home or office into the vision you desire. Call 954-401-8542 today for all your interior design needs.